Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Prada and Fendi and Coach! Oh my!

Of course advertising impacts me, and everyone else. In a society where there are hundreds of products to satisfy any demand, only products with the best reputations get top dollar.

There is no reason to pay $65,000 for a handbag. But in the words of Sex in the City's Samantha Jones:
"It's not a handbag! It's a f*****g Birkin!"


That's the world we live in. Americans will pay anything for the privilege to wear an advertisement on their chest, their pant legs, their feet, so long as its has some level of popularity and good repute.

I could get on my high horse and rant about how immoral it is to squander money on unnecessarily luxurious luxury items, but I myself have owned three iPods in my life, and I'm not yet sixteen. I have a certain level of disdain for pettiness, and yet I own several Ralph Lauren sweaters, a Macbook, a Tiffany bracelet, and a Coach wristlet. And, in all honesty, I can't say that these possessions don't bring me a certain amount of pleasure.

It just goes to show the level of hypocrisy that is acceptable in our society. And why shouldn't it be? Advertising is a multi-billion dollar industry.

It's not about to go anywhere.

2 comments:

mtmshannon said...

Very candid entry. Good insight into your own personality as well as advertising.

Mr. Shannon

Aaron's Girl 2 said...

heyyy catt it's me geeze i love your posts <333333